Sunday, August 20, 2006

Day 3 Journal--Part 1

8/6/06

8:19 am

Day 3. Thank Christ it's almost over. I was feeling ok last night but I woke up stiff with feet more sore than I remember them ever being. I was out of my tent before 5 am. I showered, brushed my teeth, repacked and handed my bag off to a crew truck, packed up my tent, ate way too much breakfast--scrambled eggs, sausage, strawberry blintz, home fries and cereal--and was on the route by ten past seven.

It was 3 miles to the first Pit and somehow I managed that in a little over an hour. I was hurtin' but not bad until the last quarter mile. I need to pee. And I'm gonna try to eat. I think I left my Ace bandage in my shower bag, though. Drag. I don't need it yet but I might later.

Man, I really need to pee.

10:16 am

I rolled into Pit 2 sometime before ten. The last 3 were getting rough but that tape I put on my knee was [expletive deleted] miraculous. I used that miracle to walk through my excruciating foot pain. Those damn fallen arches fell a little more this morning. For a while, I was chanting, "tape, tape, tape, tape!" When I got to Pit 2, first I peed (and think I will again before I leave in a few min.) then I limped over to the Med tent and tape the shit out of my feet and ankles. I also found my first blister--on the toe of my right foot--threw a bandage on it and vaselined up. Oranges, peanuts, ice and water later and I'm 'bout ready to jet.

Nell called but it's loud here and I couldn't hear her. Still glad she called. I'll listen to the voice mail later when my tape high wears off. For now, stretch, pee and go. 6.1 miles down. 1.4 to the cheering station. 1.7 to Pit 3 from there.

12:03 pm and I am not feelin' the love. I made it to the cheering station and a little ways beyond--probably about 8 miles since camp--when a safety biker asked me how I was and I said, "I don't know; I might let myself get swept." She was cool, stayed with me for a while, emphasized how much I'd already walked. I need people to tell me it's ok to rest.

I finally got to ride in the martini van too, with a few others. We dropped a dude off at Pit 3 and the rest of us went to lunch. The other 2 walkers in the van were all about ignoring me, though, and I can't understand how some people here can be so great and other people are such [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted]. The negative energy radiating off the people I'm sitting next to is staggering. Sorority girls with perfect fake tans and sunburst tattoos. You know what? They're right about the sandwich being gross but everything they're saying is negative. Maybe I need to move.

I've also yet to get good treatment at a Med tent. The registration lady tried to talk me out of it and then the medic--after I told him it was my first blister and I wanted to see how to treat it--called me a whiner. [Expletive deleted] you, buddy. You walk 8 miles and then treat your own blisters. What the hell? All the other crew members have been great, though, especially the safety crew.

I took 4 pills so I'm gonna go pee and refill my water bottle. The next stretch is next to the ocean. Too pretty not to walk.

1:26 pm

Pit 4. 2.8 miles? Felt like a butt load more. Still, my best walk so far. Most of it with ocean views and cool salty breezes. Also lots of random cheerers including a boy I think was supposed to be raking and not so much clapping.

Pit 4 is Broadway themed and they're playing "Tonight" from West Side Story. Awesome. My feet are [expletive deleted] killing me. ...

I think I'm gonna chill here for a while. I'll check out the food tent, do some peeing, stretch and relaz. There's 4.2 miles to the Holding Area and I have a feeling they're going to hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home