Sunday, August 20, 2006

Day 2 in Pictures--Part 2

As you may have surmised (or already read) I spent quite a bit of time in camp on Saturday. Plenty of time to really look around, check out what was on offer, get a free foot massage and take a stroll through the tent village to see how people decorated. There were a lot of very clever decorations so I... took a picture of none of them. Instead, I took a picture of how far away the food tent was from the Wendy tent. See that orange thing in the corner? That's my towel. That's how *I* chose to... er... "decorate" my tent. And... dry my towel. Which was also... very convenient.

This pic is post-Mortrin stretch and if I hadn't been concentrating so hard on... sexy Troy the stretch guy (and giggling at the old ladies yelling "TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF!" to a poor embarassed sexy Troy) then maybe I would have taken a picture.

But... instead, here's a picture from the yoga mat stretch area of the 3DAY flag being raised by the last returning walker. For just a second, *I* wanted to be the last returning walker. Then I thought about it... and decided I preferred the air conditioned bus showing me moving pictures of Liam Neeson and Hugh Grant.
A little later in the evening, I joined the line outside the Remembrance Tent with no idea of what I'd see inside except maybe the opposite side of lots of tears.




And I was not wrong. In the middle was this tent--just like ours only all white and covered in blessings and stories. The first one I read sent me into fits of wild blubbering. And I was extremely not alone in that feeling.


So I signed it as well (see below for what I wrote because if I rewrite it now, there'll be crying and I'll never get this post finished) and put my mark on it and felt very much a part of the event from that point onward. There were also (as previously mentioned) communal journals to share your story or read another as well as pictures hung of people who had partcipated in previous events before succumbing to their illnesses.

Outside the Remembrance Tent (and unfortunately, none of those pictures came out) were a bunch of other white tents, each one tagged with the name of a city the 3DAY would have an event in this year. The others were blank, for now at least, because the other cities' events haven't happened yet. But I imagine the Boston tent set up outside the Remembrance Tent in another city and my little goddess symbol--that tiny piece of me--being seen by the next batch of brave fools on their way to the end of their own 60 mile journey and it reminds me of what I've done and where I've been and how many people I bonded with during those 3 days.

It's a remarkable thing to be a part of something so much bigger than yourself. I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home