Thursday, April 13, 2006

Updates From LazyBloggerLand

At this point, I've pretty much given up on the team concept. Oh I still get the emails, "Training walk, 15 miles, Sunday at 7am, 30 mins away from your house."

To hell with that!

I'm tired on the weekends, man. I'm much happier getting up at 10, doing other things, and then going out around 3 or 4pm. By that time, it's starting to get cooler, there are fewer people on the roads and the soccer games at the park down the street are finishing up.

I've noticed, too, that I go a lot faster alone. Setting your own pace is important, I've found. I'm always hurtin' way more after a walk with someone else than by myself and again, as I keep repeating to people, it's not a race; it's an endurance challenge. And frankly, if by walking slower, I conserve my energy enough to get me to the end, I much prefer that, even if it means the old man with the curious dog laps me a couple times. He does a mile. I've been doing three or four on the track. And steadily, mind you. The joggerman laps me a couple times over on his first three laps but slows down significantly after that and labors with every heaved breath. Meanwhile, I'm walking the exact same pace and breathing fine. I. Win.

Besides, from what I've heard, at the event you are constantly surrounded by people. I don't think I need to be on a team to really experience the comradery. Hell, I've felt it already at meetings. That's the thing about charity: it's not about winning and losing and competition. You're there to help and whatever you do is appreciated, even if it's not as much as other people can do. There are so few places where that's true.


I'm on vacation next week and although I don't plan to do "training walks" per se, I will be doing quite a bit of walking. Saturday, Nell and I are spending the day in Boston and rather than shelling out a lotta dough on T tokens, we're going to try to walk everywhere. Oh and I'm bringing the pedometer, yessireebob. Tuesday through Thursday, I'll be in Salem where, I hear, parking is hard to come by. I plan to leave the Silver Bullet at the B&B and hotfoot it through the touristy wonderland. Then next Saturday, I'm going to a karate clinic and while I doubt extensive walking in on the agenda, I can pretty much guarantee it'll cover my "cross-training" requirement for the week. It'll be a superactive week o' funtimes for yours truly and after my last week-long vacation (wherein all I accomplished was the viewing of Felicity season one), it'll be in consideration for the best vacation ever award.

I've also stopped wearing my breast cancer awareness bracelet on a daily basis since it became so cumbersome to work in. I blame my freakishly small wrists for the bracelet slippage 'cause man, I can't type with that thing on my hand all day. I have all my pink ribbons made. I just need to pin some of those bad boys to my hat and coat and bag and such. Gotta represent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home